Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Some People Just Can't Talk on Camera

As promised, I got an editing job today. Allen had taken a bunch of footage for the Rumschpringe Film Festival Promo video and it was my job to create a rough cut of it. Time limit was 60 seconds, 120 was the longest. My end time was 3 min 08 sec when I'd left.

This project was actually really frustrating for me. The main person (IMO) wasn't very good at talking naturally on camera. He would take long pauses and seemingly not think about what he was trying to say before saying it, so alot of it came out somewhat opposite of stuttered. It was very annoying to watch the same line over and over again prompted by Allen and still having it get messed up and befuddled. So half my time was actually spent taking out the "ums" and the pauses. This was true for the other people who were speaking, but none were as frustrating as the person who was giving the primary information.

Also, because of all the cutting of pauses, when the video itself was viewed, the people jump a little since the cuts are sometimes only a second apart so a hand vanishes or a mouth opens or something little that just BUGS me! I know I did somewhat okay with the audio, but when things didn't line up on those layers either I also got frustrated. I think that has something to do with the fact that I'm an auditory learner and I was in Speech and Debate for 3 1/2 years (and even more if you count judging after I graduated). I'm very conscious of the flow of words and those tiny little jumps that most people would ignore jump out to me like a bright red splinter in my thumb.

Now, I know, because Allen told me, that this is only a rough cut and that he himself will go back in and polish it up, but I still help but be frustrated with the fact that I feel like the video and audio is messy and unprofessionally edited.

Random aside: Allen and Joe took me out to Isaac's for lunch as thanks for all the work I've done for them. It was a nice lunch, tasty as all Isaac's meals are, and I told them they need to come over to our place so Caleb can cook them his famous fish curry. They'll like it cause it's spicy and Allen seems to want to put spicy into most things (at least that I've seen him eat).

[Hours: 9.45-5.45]
[Total Hours: 110] (I'm leaving out the hour for lunch)

No comments:

Post a Comment