Monday, November 15, 2010

My First Commercial Shoot

Allen took me to a shoot they're doing for a commercial for a pub/grill restaurant in York. It was fun and interesting in an observing kind of way. The shoot was supposed to start around 2.30, but we got there about 2. The Director of Photography, Derek, (basically the cameraman) brought 3 lighting assistance, Sean, Biz, and I can't remember the other guy's name. They had lots of lighting equipment that I never really learned the names of, but my job was basically to be the gopher (go-for-this, go-for-that, etc).

They started in the kitchen with prep shots. I didn't really have anything to do with that because the kitchen was cramped as it was, and I wasn't really much of a help anyways. However, I did remember that there was a Postal Connections in York and Allen had Joe email them a release form to print for us. Then Allen trusts ME with his car and his card to go pick them up! Crazy! Well, it was fun and exciting in a let's-never-do-that-again-if-we-can-help-it kind of way. I probably would again if he needed, but at the time I was semi-freaked, probably because I would never let someone take my car.

Anyways, I get back and they're finishing up in the kitchen and we're starting to set up in the dining room for the finished/prepared food shots. I feel sortof in the way, but I am able to keep up with what they're doing and what they need and ask if they need anything from time to time, just in case they've forgotten I can get stuff for them. Allen told me later that I wasn't in the way at all and I was very helpful, but I still felt like a 3rd wheel. One of the cool things I observed was smearing olive oil onto appetizers to make them shiney. Allen had also brought motor oil in case the olive oil didn't work. Luckily, we never used it, so the food was still eatable when we were done. I actually got to eat a whole red velvet cupcake! Unfortunately, the only other thing I got was a roll. I did get to help out a little bit and sprinkle parsley onto some steak. They just wanted actions, even though you wouldn't really put parsley on steak. Oh well, as long as it looks good, right?

Got done with the finished shots around 5-5.30 or so, which was actually right about on time. There was a party of 8, one girl was, I believe, a server there with her parents and some friends. It was actually really nice because they were a diverse group - Asian, black, white, hispanic. I had them sign the release forms, and sat in the forground of some shots, but that was all I really had to do for that hour or so of that filming. I wandered around a bunch, talking to folks, making sure Allen and Derek had what they needed, etc. They finished with them about 6.45-7 or so and we moved in to the bar area.

That was a rather simple/easy place and we only asked two ladies for release forms. I also got to sit at the side of shot and chat with Sean. I'm very good and keeping converstions going as long as I need to (or longer, more often than not). Then they just had a bit in the foyer with a pair of identical twin hostesses. Derek also was getting camera happy and started taking headshots of all of us. Mine, I look pissed. Oh well. I got to take his though! nice...shiney...camera...*drool* We were packed up and out around 8 or so. Had some cleaning up still and making sure the food they'd prepared for us got eaten. Allen and I didn't stay and eat, but the other guys did. They deserved it and I think both Allen and I wanted to go home.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would call the whole experience "fun" persay, but interesting and informative are spot on. I got to meet some cool new people and I got to see how a shoot works and how each person is supposed to work within the group. I wouldn't mind in the least if I got to go to more shoots because I now better understand how they work and I would know where my services will be more needed. I'm also excited because I might be working on putting the commercial together when I go in on Wednesday. Allen was telling folks that it would be done in a week or so, and that means I might see some of it Wednesday.

On another note, Joe emailed me the other day to say that vectorized work was well executed and working out nicely. It made me feel great to know that my efforts were what they needed. I was also pleased and surprised that Joe even took the time to email me. It's not a courtesy you find alot nowadays.

[Hours 3-8]

No comments:

Post a Comment