Wednesday, October 27, 2010

So it Begins...

Had my first day interning for Postage, Inc. Was quite excited, not so much nervous. A bit difficult to find since they looked closed from the outside. The inside is very dark too, so I thought they might not be in. It's a rather small studio, more like an apartment with no bedrooms or kitchen, but that's kinda nice because I can take my shoes off and they don't give it a second thought. First was the 5 cent tour, Allen's desk, Joe's desk, bathroom/kitchen sink, and my corner where I'll likely be working. It does feel like a corner because their desks are out in the open space of the "living room" whereas mine can be closed off by a rice-paper sliding door. Allen said that it probably looks like a couple of gay guys live there, which I found amusing because each of them have female significant others.

Anyway, after that, they got to cleaning things because there was going to be a meeting with Mike Hoober from PCAD about a project he wants. I didn't really quite know what to do, since I don't know where anything is or goes or should look a certain way, but I tried to windex some surfaces and that seemed okay. Joe went out a few times and Allen asked about what kind of music I like. Hoober came a bit after 11 and coffee was made and the "meeting" started. It wasn't a very interesting meeting from my perspective since I didn't understand what they were talking about half the time. He didn't give them any material, but it will be delivered later in the week and their ideas will depend on what he wants his "brand voice" (what I would call developing a brand recognition) to be.

After that I got a bit of an interview from Joe about what other work I've done and my drawing skill level. I sent him my deviantArt page. From the vibes, I think he wishes I was an illustrator, but, I am what I am. My drawing skills aren't up to par with illustrators, but I CAN draw. I told them about Purple Piece Games and Penguin Parade so Joe gave me a job tracing a client's logo in Illustrator. They helped me find one of the fonts, but I had to trace the tage line. Luckily, it was a fairly simple font based on circles and rectangles, but the whole thing, plus the actual mark, took me about 2.5-3 hours. Most people would think that tedious or mind-numbingly boring. Me, I find it relaxing. Don't know why. I think it's the mind-numbing aspect of it.

Finally, got another semi-lecture from Joe about who they are, what they do, what their work is, etc. He said that they're more like art directors, not teachers here, so it's not that I can't ask questions, but they can't come and teach me stuff if they have a deadline due. Also, I'm supposed to take initiative in doing work. They don't have time to find things for me to do. However, I'd like to point out that I don't know what there needs to be done either, or if I'm capable of working on it to their degree of expertise. I might end up rotoscoping alot or doing lip-sincs for some of their animation, which, the rotoscoping is like what I did today, just tracing things, and I like that kind of stuff. I do also like the lip-sinc stuff we did for Cap'n Matt last semester. So, hopefully, this internship will still be all kinds of awesome. It was alot of testing the waters today, both them and me. The best way to describe this testing was one of the questions Allen asked me: What is your level of offendedness? My answer: I draw the line at jokes about the Holocaust and rape, but other than that, not much.

[Hours: 10-3.45]

No comments:

Post a Comment